Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Humility

The last time I was wrong was last night. My roommate and I were watching a movie and she was controlling the remote (which she has trouble with on a regular basis) and she wanted French subtitles on. I told her how to get to the screen to change the subtitle language and then she pressed French just fine. I didn't see her press French, and I told her I didn't think the subtitles would work after she had already started the movie. They did and I apologized, which was surprisingly hard to do. As a teacher, humility is crucial. Teachers must be confident and yet balance that with humility at the same time. I think the key is to be confident in your knowledge without talking down to your students and belittling them. When you make a mistake, acknowledge it and move on. Students will not respond well to arrogance.

No comments:

Post a Comment